On occasion, I receive requests from readers asking me to create recipes for them. One of my readers requested an apple pancake recipe containing apple, cinnamon, almond milk/almond flour, and buckwheat flour that would just melt in your mouth. When I read his message, I recalled my sister-in-law raving about an apple pancake recipe that contained eggs which she described as “paleo.”
Since my family enjoys pancakes on the weekends, I decided to veganize my sister-in-law’s recipe and add buckwheat flour to give the pancake more structure. These pancakes are light, guilt-free, vegan, gluten-free and sweet enough that maple syrup isn’t necessary. By the way, I still like “My Favorite Gluten-free Vegan Pancakes and Waffles” recipe best!
Time: 25 minutes
1 medium apple, peeled and cored, cut into fourths
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp coconut palm sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (no alcohol)
a dash of sea salt
5 Tbsp filtered water
2 Tbsp chia seeds
1/4 cup almond meal + 2 tbsp
3 Tbsp buckwheat flour
1. In a medium bowl, combine almond meal and buckwheat flour. Set aside.
2. In a blender, combine apples, cinnamon, stevia, vanilla extract, sea salt, water and chia seeds. Blend on high until the apples are completely pulverized.
3. Using a rubber spatula, pour and scrape the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix to combine.
4. Allow this mixture to sit for at least 17 minutes. This is a very important step. The chia seeds will absorb the liquid and will bind it all together. Do not skip this step!
5. Spray a nonstick griddle with cooking spray and prepare like a regular pancake. This recipe will yield four pancakes that are 3 to 4 inches in diameter.
Enjoy!Share on Facebook